Saturday, October 27, 2007

Florida - Turkey Hunt







I decided to make an early start and to drive the short distance over to Lake Toho to see if I could locate any Wild Turkeys supposedly seen most often at this time of day.

The Southport Road was quiet and I chose a few road-side stops to look and listen for birds. A small group of Blue Jays and Eastern Bluebirds made for a colourful start to the morning. There were many more birds seen at this time of day with dozens of Palm Warblers, my first Pine Warblers, some Eastern Phoebe and a close encounter with a Bald Eagle that swooped down and plucked a Cattle Egret from the field right in front of me. It all happened so fast that I didn’t managed to set my camera for optimized shots of a fast moving bird in flight.

The highlight was a pair of huge Pileated Woodpeckers that flew over calling. Magnificent birds to see and another of my prime target species.

And on the way home, of course a small group of Wild Turkeys that evaporated into the undergrowth once I'd got my camera poised.

No comments: